The over Act has been altered by the Buddhist and Pali University of Sri Lanka Act(Amendment)No. 37 of 1995. Simultaneous with the service of the above described Act of Amendment, the local associated institutions which were so far in appearance ceased to exist and Buddhist and Pali University of Sri Lanka had been re-structured in conformity with the framework of the other Universities of Sri Lanka. The structured Buddhist & Pali University (BPU) with its halls of dwelling for students was situated at Pitipana in Homagama.
Buddhist & Pali University Admission 2022 Last Date
Buddhist and Pali University (BPU) Minimum Requirements for Admission
Applicants who are conspicuous suitable by the Commissioner General of Exams should have attained,
- Applicants should have exceeded G. C. E. (A. L. ) Exam in at least 3 subjects which includes Pali in the field of Buddhism or any various other languages.
- A minimum marks of 30% for the Common General Paper.
- Applicants who have exceeded G. C. E. (Advanced Level) Exam in at least 3 subjects which includes either a subject in the field of Buddhism or any other language and without the subject of Pali should have subsequent qualifications in Pali.
- Exceeded in Pali subject at the Prachina Prarambha Examination,
- Exceeded in Pali subject at the Examination of Mulika Piriven Avasana,
- Credit Pass in Pali subject at the G. C. E. (O. L) Exam.
- Exceeded in Pali Diploma carried out by the Buddhist and Pali University of Sri Lanka.
- A minimum marks of 30 % for the Common General Paper.
- Applicants should have exceeded G. C. E. (A. L. ) exam carried out by the London University or any other exam certified as comparable to G. C. E. (Advanced Level) examination in Sri Lanka by the High Commissioner of the specific country or the Commissioner General of Examination in Sri Lanka.
- The Applicants who have attained the qualifications as per para 3 (a) above without the subject of Pali should pass 1 year certificate lessons in Pali carried out by the Buddhist and Pali University of Sri Lanka or posses any other qualifications in Pali equivalent to the above certificate program.
- As announced by the Buddhist & Pali University (BPU) Grants Commission, minimum conditions for admission for each year will be regarded in compliance with conditions.
- Application forms and related details can be attained from the subsequent address until 29. 10. 2010.
- Assistant Registrar (Academic & Student Services),
- Buddhist and Pali University of Sri Lanka,
- Gurulugomi Mawatha,
- Pitipana North,
- Tele : 011-2857786 / 011-2891104
- Email : [email protected]
Buddhist and Pali University (BPU) Fees
- Registration – US$ 20
- Coaching charges – US$ 100 per year
- For an application form – Rs. 200/-
- Application forms can be obtained sending a Bank Draft A.C. No. 711201, Bank of Ceylon, Homagama, Sri Lanka. A self addressed value Rs. 30.00 stamped envelope 10” x 7” in size should be sent if you expect to obtain applications by post.
- The words “University Admission for Foreign Students 2022” should be indicated on the left hand corner of the envelope.
- Applications which are incomplete or after the closing date of applications received will be rejected.
Buddhist and Pali University (BPU) Fcaulties
There are two Faculties of the Buddhist & Pali University (BPU). They are Faculty of Buddhist Studies and Faculty of Language Studies.
Buddhist and Pali University (BPU) Faculty of Buddhist Studies
Criteria in Selecting Subjects in the Faculty of Buddhist Studies
The students who get registered for the G AQ exam should compulsorily select Pali as their 1st subject. Either Buddhist Philosophy or Buddhist Culture is required as the 2nd subject. Archeology or Religious Studies and Contemporary Philosophy should be the 3rd subject. A part from that Compulsory English and the Certificate Program in’ Buddhist Counseling should compulsorily be researched by all the students.
Presently in the Faculty of Buddhist Studies English medium is presented only for subjects like Buddhist Philosophy, Religious Studies and Relative Philosophy and Buddhist Culture.
Only the subjects such as Buddhist Philosophy, Buddhist Culture and Archeology can be specialised. If Pali is specialised, either Buddhist Philosophy or Buddhist Culture should be the· secondary subject. Pali is compulsorily be the secondary subject if either Buddhist Philosophy or Buddhist Culture or Archeology is specialised.
The subsequent programs should be determined by the 2nd, 3 rd and 4th year students of the Faculty of Buddhist Studies.
- Diploma program in Buddhist Councelling. (Only those who attain ‘A’ or ‘B’ grades for Buddhist Councelling in the GAQ examination can follow this program. ).
Buddhist and Pali University (BPU) The Post Graduate Degree Courses offered by the Faculty of Buddhist Studies
- Postgraduate Diploma Course (One Year)
- B.A. External Degree Course (One Year)
- M.A. Post graduate Degree with research (two year course)
- Mphil Post graduate Degree with research (two year course)
- Phd Post graduate Degree with research (two year course)
Buddhist and Pali University (BPU) Diploma Courses
- A Diploma Course in Buddhism – One Year
- A Diploma Course in Dhamma Communication- One Year
- Daham Sarasaviya’ Diploma Course – One Year
Buddhist and Pali University (BPU) Department of Buddhist Culture
B.A. General Degree Examination Syllabus (Internal)
- BCF 101 Buddhist Culture Historical Background
- BCF 102 Buddhist Culture: Fundamentals
- BCG 201 Expansion of Buddhist Culture
- BCG 202 Origins and the Evolution of Buddhist Social Institutions
- BCG 301 Expansion of Buddhism ii
- BCG 302 the Buddhist Aesthetic and the Buddhist Art
Buddhist and Pali University (BPU) Department of Religious Studies and Comparative Philosoph
Dept. of Religious Studies and Relative Philosophy is one of the major departments under the Faculty of Buddhist Studies, announced in 1996. Currently department conducts lectures on Religious Studies only and in near future would be able to commence lectures on Comparative Philosophy. Now students can select Spiritual Studies as a B. A. General Degree subject. We are considering to create Specific Degree Program in this subject as fascination in this subject is developing up. Department conducts lectures and guidelines both in Sinhala and English medium. Everlasting academic staff includes a professor and a probationary lecturer and we invite professors and browsing lecturers from other universities as conditions arise. We guide students from Undergraduates to Doctoral degrees. No other universities in Sri Lanka offering the subject of Religious Studies as a seperate subject. Per year a huge number of local and international students take this subject as a part of their degree program.
Buddhist and Pali University (BPU) Department of Archeology
About the Department
The Department of archeology is 1 of the departments in faculty of Buddhist Studies, which offers a favorable and encouraging studying atmosphere for undergraduate studies in Archaeology. In accessory to central areas of archaeological theory and practice, this department is educating interdisciplinary fields such as museology, Numismatics, Epigraphy, Cultural heritage management, Ancient architecture and Art history, and has a special interest in Buddhist Archeology.
This department organizes exclusive guest lectures, seminar programs, field works and study tours. Every student has the possibility to gain expertise by working on real sites, commencing in the very 1st year of their degree. This department has a close link with Cultural triangle projects in Sri Lanka, where the students get field work possibilities.
Buddhist and Pali University (BPU) Faculty of Language Studies
Established in 1997, the Faculty of Language Studies comprise of four departments, and two teaching units, which offer a number of degree programmes for both undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Sinhala & Modern
Buddhist and Pali University (BPU) Library
Organized in 1983, BPUSL Library System consisted of 2 libraries viz.: Homagama Internal Education Centre-Library and Colombo Head Office Library. The Library system is presently home to nearly 38, 372 books, 56 periodical titles, 35 Ola-leaf manuscripts and a selection of Audio and Video Cassettes, and electronic materials on CD, VCD and DVD formats. The almost holy Dhamma cannon Tripitaka is available in 6 languages and in both conventional and electronic formats. Books and periodicals are obtained to facilitate the requirements of the program modules of the Buddhist & Pali University (BPU). More concentration is given for the subsequent disciplines in the assortment procedure of materials; Buddhism Buddhist Literature, Pali Language and Literature, Sanskrit Language and Literature, English language and Literature, Archaeology, Buddhist Arts, History and Social Science. In addition, general reading materials such as books, reference sources like Dictionaries, Encyclopedias and Guide books are also per year enriching the selection collection. Internet and e-mail facilities are also accessible for readers at the Colombo Head Office Library.
Following Library materials are not permitted for lending
Periodicals; Rare Books, Ola-Leaf materials; Reference & Special Collections, A/V & Electronic materials (CD,VCD,DVD & Diskettes)
Library opening hours
Buddhist and Pali University (BPU) Main library at Homagama
- Monday to Friday 8.00 a.m. – 4 p.m. (Only on week days)
- Closed on weekends, Public holidays and days notified as holidays by the Buddhist & Pali University (BPU).
- The opening hours of the Library will be extending during the examination periods in the Buddhist & Pali University (BPU).
Buddhist and Pali University (BPU) Library at Colombo
- Saturday & Sunday 8.30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Closed on Monday to Friday
Buddhist and Pali University (BPU) Divisions
The library is well arranged by dividing into main divisions matching to the Broad subject. Disciplines with a view to build up the collection along with developments of the amenities of the Buddhist & Pali University (BPU). All related documents are allotted at the divisions with a individual entity for advantage of the users. Periodicals are managed as a individual section for easy retrieval of the sources.
Main sections are as follow:
- Buddhist Philosophy & Buddhist Culture division
- Archeology division
- English language & Literature division
- Languages division (Sinhala, Pali & Sanskrit).
Buddhist and Pali University (BPU) Library Vission
Center of extreme Buddhist cerebral question, the most powerful studying atmosphere in the world in the teachings of the Buddha; be sure its choices remain scholarly, cerebral and diverse in width and form; open to checking out, and of world-well-known quality; with the resources accessible to users for brilliance in assist for the studying, teaching and research; through cutting-edge improvements made accessibility to these resources easier; conserve details across all types that assure efficient storage and delivery programs for offering all users; fosters and nourishes circles of partners yielding unified access both in and outside Sri Lanka to widen information and reach a high standard in virtue.
Buddhist and Pali University (BPU) Conducting Mahapola and Bursary scholarship programme
Their scholarship programme was started by the Ministry of Trade, Commerce and Consumer Affairs. The scholarships or grants are honored on the base of the maximum marks attained at the G. C. E. (AIL) exam. Rest of the other students can attain bursary scholarship.
Get latest updates of Admissions of Buddhist & Pali University of Sri Lanka
Thanks for visiting our site which is compatible of Universities Admissions and details.
Official Website: Buddhist and Pali University
Type: Public, Buddhist University
Rupan barua(karuna bhikkhu) says
I am buddhist monk from banladesh.I am very desire to study to your university.I need some information How can procesing study.
your faith fully
rupan barua(karuna bhikkhu}
K K Renuka says
wishing very good future to Buddhist & Pali University I hope to do a English course with ur university